If you’ve ever donated blood or had to have blood transfusions, you may have wondered about the process of storing blood. After all, blood is a perishable item, so it needs to be kept cold in order to stay fresh. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at the importance of blood storage refrigerators and how they help to save lives.
The roles played by the refrigerators
- The first thing to understand is that blood can only be stored for a limited time before it starts to break down. Once it has been donated, blood must be stored at a temperature of between 2-6 degrees Celsius in order to keep it fresh.
If it is not stored properly, the red blood cells in the blood will start to break down and become unusable. This is why it’s so important that blood storage facilities have reliable refrigeration units.
- Blood banks rely on refrigeration units to store large quantities of blood that can be used for transfusions. Without refrigeration, these units would not be able to keep the blood fresh and safe for use.
In some cases, such as during emergencies or disasters, there may not be enough time to get the blood to a proper storage facility. This is where mobile refrigeration units come in handy. Mobile units can be used to store blood on-site so that it can be transfused into patients as soon as possible.
Industries that can not do without blood storage refrigerators
These refrigerators are specially designed refrigerators that are used to store blood and blood products. They are typically found in hospitals, blood banks, and other medical facilities.
- Blood storage refrigerators must meet certain standards in order to ensure the safety of blood products.
- They must be able to maintain a consistent temperature between 2 and 6 degrees Celsius and have a capacity of at least 300 liters.
- Blood storage refrigerators are equipped with special features such as alarm systems, data logging, and automatic defrosting. These features help to ensure that the blood products are stored safely and remain within the proper temperature range.
So, these types of refrigerators play an important role in the medical industry, specifically when it comes to storing blood.
Refrigerated blood storage is a vital part of the healthcare system. Without it, blood would not be able to be safely stored for transfusions. If you have ever needed a transfusion, you can thank the refrigerator for helping to save your life!